Monday, July 2, 2012

RPG Maker VX Ace & Me!

Let's get right down to business.  I am currently working on a game that I intended to give my husband on Father's Day.  I guess I didn't make it.  I love trying new technology and wanted to start with a simple program that would let me create my husband's favorite game type, an RPG.  RPG Maker VX Ace has recently been released and having used their last game engine, I thought this would be a great time to use their 30 day trial. 

I do love this engine.  If you are planning on creating any kind of RPG, this is for you.  The download of both the engine and the RTP required to use it went smoothly. The main site contains some tutorials to get you started but I found the best tutorial at Beginner's Guide to RPG Maker VX Ace. As usual with any game you need at least a basic design or a list of what comes next and I made a quick one in Notepad.  Then I started to map, which is very easy.  The tilesets that come with the engine are great to start out with and more can be imported in.  The database that is used for creating everything from skills to weapons is easy to use.  The event system is more tricky and that is where I am now. I am working on events and hope to finish the game before the end of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment